In his winemaking, Steve walks the fine line between artist and craftsman. In his constant pursuit for excellence, he is always making sure that the wines are carefully crafted, even flawless, while at the same time imprinting his singular, artistic vision. I think this is one of the secrets to our unique and outstanding wines year after year.
In addition to the 2010 MATTHIASSON White Wine being included as one of the Top 100 Wines of 2011 by the San Francisco Chronicle, the SF Chronicle included our 2009 MATTHIASSON Cabernet Franc as one of the TOP 10 MOST MEMORABLE WINES OF 2011! (If you want to purchase some of that memorable Cabernet Franc, you can get it by joining our Wine Club.
Here are some more of the praises in print and in the blogosphere over the past year:
- The 2010 White Wine was described as a Beguiling High-End Blend by the Wine Salon;
- The wine was a hit at the Sundance Film Festival, where it was described as “a gorgeous, mouthwatering marriage of stone fruit and minerality that rivals the best of Italy’s Collio Biancos,” in The Daily Meal;
- In an interview with The New York Times Wine Critic, AKA “….. The Most Famous Wine Writer In The World, Eric Asimov,” Mr. Asimov is asked “ If you had to describe your passion for wine, without words, by sharing three bottles with me, what would they be?” His answer ”……to bring it home, a white from California, from Napa Valley, no less, a wine that represents free-thinking individualism, that goes against everything that people assume about Napa. It’s the Napa White from Matthiasson, a family venture that epitomizes the do-it-yourself American ethos that we venerate so freely in mythology but so rarely in real life.”;
- The 2010 White Wine was the #1 choice for Turkey dinner: Thanksgiving week: Wine with Jesse Becker, MS;
- And a fun interview with Steve in the online magazine Find.Eat.Drink.